Total: 15 minutes 10 minutes - Create a Discord account 5 minutes - Join the C4T Discord servers and complete setup instructions
What is Discord and how do I use this thing?
Check out our Discord Guide for that info.
Why does C4T use Discord?
We use Discord because of its flexibility and roles feature which allows us to organize all of our group chats in one place and ping individuals or groups of people. Also, it's just easier/faster/more fun than email.
Code 4 Tomorrow Server
Follow all of the instructions on our Discord Guide to join the Code 4 Tomorrow (member) server. Make sure you click on the Members tab, not the students/teachers/parents tab.
Make sure to complete the setup instructions upon joining the server otherwise you will automatically be kicked at 12 AM PT by Enoch Bot.
We highly recommend that you download both the desktop and mobile Discord apps so that you don't have to sign in on your browser every time. Trust us, you will be using Discord a lot!
C4T Classes Server
If you are in one or more of the following groups you also need to join the C4T Classes server:
- Core Team
- Internal Affairs Director
- Outreach Director
- Classes department
- Volunteer Management
- Public Relations
When you join the C4T Classes server, you don't need to follow the setup instructions because they won't apply to you. Instead, change your nickname to your full real name and message the #commands channel, saying which C4T group you're part of (e.g. "I'm in public relations" or something similar). That way, existing C4T members can give you the appropriate roles to access the rest of the server.
All C4T members in the C4T Classes server are moderators. As such, please also familiarize yourself with our moderation policies.
Set your notifications
To avoid getting notification overload, we highly recommend that you edit your notification settings on Discord for both of the C4T servers you just joined.
- Login to Discord and select a C4T server you're in.
- Click on the drop down arrow next to the server name on the top left corner and click on Notification Settings.
- Make sure server notifications are set to Only @mentions and if you have the mobile app, turn on Mobile Push Notifications.
- Scroll down to Notification Overrides. Add the #announcements channel and check the "All" column. You should repeat this process for any channels you want to get notified for even if you aren't mentioned.
- Repeat steps 2-4 for any other C4T servers you're in.